On Sunday evening, two men aged 45 died due to inhalation of poisonous gases while cleaning the safety tank without safety gear.
Two men died while cleaning a safety tank in Delhi
The men were cleaning the tank located on the ground floor of the gold chain factory on GT Karnal Road. A Case has been registered at Adarsh Nagar police station under sections of The Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and their Rehabilitation Act and IPC section 304 and IPC section 337. IPC section 304 and 337 are for culpable homicide not amounting to murder and causing hurt by endangering life respectively.
The men were not equipped with protective gear like masks, safety belts and boots. As a result, they died after inhaling poisonous gases, as alleged by Delhi Police, Delhi Fire Services and relatives of men.
The two men are identified as Idris and Salim. They live in Khurja, Uttar Pradesh. However, they visited Delhi to collect residue left from cleaning gold in safety tanks of gold factories. Also, four men fell sick due to inhalation of toxic gases. Nevertheless, they were treated and discharged while one is still undergoing treatment. DCP Vijayanata Arya said that the labourers used to get Rs 400 a day for their job.
Assistant Divisional Officer of DFS, CL Meena said, “It must be 15-20 feet deep. The labourers were not given proper safety gear. First, one labourer fainted inside after inhaling the gases, then another jumped in, he too fainted. We got a distress call. By the time we reached, the workers had removed everyone from the tank except one person.”
The factory owner gave the job of cleaning the tank Rajendra Soni(63) to private contractor Pramod Dangi(35). Both Pramod and Rajender have been arrested.